Comprehensive Computer Testing
Ever wonder if your computer hardware is weakening or ready to give up the ghost? Got a big job looming, or a computer that you/your business relies on on a daily/constant basis? Would you like some reassurance that things are “good to go” or maybe would like to know if you need to plan on a replacement? Good news!
Phillips Design has added a new Comprehensive Computer Testing service! For just $125.00, we will perform the following tests on the following components of your computer:
– USB Port Testing: the USB ports on your computer were designed to put out a certain voltage; if they put out more or less, the devices plugged into those USB ports will malfunction and eventually get shorted out. We now have a way to test each of your computer’s USB ports to make sure they’re within the proper range. Some USB ports can be replaced but most cannot as they’re integral to the computer’s motherboard. In those cases we typically recommend either adding a USB hub or an add-on card directly to the motherboard: appr. 1/2 hr.
– Memory Test: tests the functionality & speed of the memory (ram) chips installed on the motherboard to determine if any of the installed modules are failing: appr. 4 hrs.
– Harddisk Test: tests the strength/weakness of the entire harddrive, electronic bit by electronic bit, to determine if there are any bad (unwritable) areas. This test can take a LONG time depending on how large it is & how many bad areas there may be, so no estimated time available.
– CPU Test: tests the functionality as well as temperature range to determine if it has weakened over time: appr. 12 hrs.
– GPU Test: tests the functionality/range of the Graphics Processing Unit either on the motherboard or added on graphics card to determine the range of functionality as well as if it has weakened over time: appr. 3 hrs.
– Operating System Test: test to determine if there is any corruption in the OS and if so repairs what is repairable or alternately reports, if unrepairable, whether reinstallation will be required (depending on harddrive test above): appr. 2 hrs.
– Heat Transfer Test: to determine if either the case fan or CPU fan (or both) has weakened over time and may not be cooling your computer properly. This usually occurs in desktops that have been placed on the floor (thus sucking up inordinate amounts of dirt & hair, packing the fan bearings), or in the case of laptops, since the heat escape ports are under the computer, to determine if the CPU has been unduly overheated due to placing the laptop on reflective surfaces or soft surfaces that would plus the heat escape ports. appr. 3 hrs.
As you can see by tallying the approximated times necessary to perform each test, we will need your computer for some time, but, as with anything comprehensive, it’s worth the time!
You will receive a report detailing the results of each test when we deliver your computer back to you, as well as any recommendations from the results.